Bear River Watershed
Sierra Nevada, California
Bear River Mercury Cycling Project
In cooperation with the California State Water Resources Control Board, the USGS investigated mercury transport, methylation, and bioaccumulation in the Bear River watershed. Mercury and methylmercury mass balance (inputs vs. outputs) was done for Rollins Lake and Camp Far West Reservoir (CFWR) during 2001-04 and a detailed food web study involving methylmercury bioaccumulation was done for CFWR during 2002-04.
- Alpers, C.N., Stewart, A.R., Saiki, M.K., Marvin-DiPasquale, M.C., Topping, B.R., Rider, K.M., Gallanthine, S.K., Kester, C.A., Rye, R.O., Antweiler, R.C., and De Wild, J.F., 2008,
- Environmental factors affecting mercury in Camp Far West Reservoir, 2001-03. U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2006-5008, 358 p. http://pubs.usgs.gov/sir/2006/5008/
- Kuwabara, J.S., Alpers, C.N., Marvin-DiPasquale, M., Topping, B.R., Carter, J.L., Stewart, A.R., Fend, S.V., Parchaso, F., Moon, G.E., and Krabbenhoft, D.P., 2003,
- Sediment-water interactions affecting dissolved-mercury distributions in Camp Far West Reservoir, California, U.S. Geological Survey Water-Resources Investigations Report 03-4140, 64 p. http://water.usgs.gov/pubs/wri/wri034140/
- Saiki, M.K., Martin, B.A., May, T.W., and Alpers, C.N., 2009,
- Mercury contamination in fish from a Sierra Nevada foothill reservoir located downstream from historic gold-mining operations. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 14 p. doi:10.1007/s10661-009-0836-6.
- Stewart, A.R., Saiki, M.K., Kuwabara, J.S., Alpers, C.N., Marvin-DiPasquale, M., and Krabbenhoft, D.P., 2008,
- Influence of plankton mercury dynamics and trophic pathways on mercury concentrations of top predator fish of a mining-impacted reservoir. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, v. 65, p. 2351-2366. doi:10.1139/F08-140
Updated January 14, 2011. Contact email@example.com for additional information.